Search Site
Post-Divorce Modifications

West Chester Law Firm Helps You Petition For and Obtain Post-Divorce Modifications

Providing tenacious legal counsel before, during and after your divorce

Many people think that a final judgment of divorce eliminates any future conflicts or issues. However, it is not uncommon for circumstances to change drastically enough to necessitate a change in the terms of a divorce. At The Law Office of Marta S. Laynas, centrally located in the township of West Chester, you get the support you need during each stage of the process. Whether you need help enforcing or modifying a court order, the attorneys at this firm are committed to proving the highest level of service and guiding you through any challenges that arise after your divorce.

Post-divorce modifications are often necessary

The terms of your divorce decree are court-ordered provisions to which you must adhere to avoid penalties. However, the court understands that your situation may change, and Pennsylvania law provides options for modifying certain terms. Either party may petition the court for a modification at any time following a judgment of divorce. Post-divorce modifications may be made to orders concerning:

  • Alimony — The court may modify spousal support determinations if either party experiences changes of a substantial and continuing nature. Alimony payments may be modified, terminated, reinstituted or suspended at the discretion of the court upon a showing of a material change in circumstances.
  • Child support — The court calculates child support using a specific formula, but certain factors may dictate a departure from the specified support amount. It is likely that the material circumstances, such as a change in salary, of one or both parents will occur over time, and the court may adjust support payments accordingly.
  • Child custody — The court may modify an existing child custody order if it determines that doing so would serve the best interests of the child.

How do I get my divorce decree modified?

If you or your former spouse experiences a substantial and material change in circumstances, it is vital to seek advice from a knowledgeable West Chester family attorney. You must petition the court for any changes to your divorce decree. If you refuse to comply with court orders simply because you feel you are no longer in a position to adhere to an order, you may face civil penalties and be placed in contempt of court. Upon a showing of a material change in circumstances, the court makes a reasonable determination about the necessity of changing the terms of your divorce. The court always places the best interests of the child above all other considerations when making changes to child support or custody orders.

Work with post-divorce counsel serving clients in West Chester and southeastern Pennsylvania

Located in West Chester just minutes from downtown, The Law Office of Marta S. Laynas focuses on helping clients throughout each step of the divorce process and making the transition easier for families. Call 610-692-3460 or contact the firm online to speak with an attorney about your situation. Regular office hours are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and additional appointment times are available when needed.

Contact us

Please fill out the form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.

Quick Contact Form

Our Office
  • West Chester Office
    1221 West Chester Pike
    West Chester, Pennsylvania 19382
    Phone: 610-692-3460
    Fax: 610-692-4076